PET is a graphical user interface (GUI) for discovering rate constants, of molecular network models, that fit experimental data. It is designed for use by theoretical biologists to build regulatory network models and compare the models to experimental results.
PET contains many features intended to ease and quicken the model building process. To do this PET
- provides a GUI for entering a mathematical model (using the JigCell ModelBuilder),
- stores multiple sets of parameters and initial conditions (basal sets),
- provides means for users to define changes to the model parameters and initial conditions (called simulation definitions) to mimic experiments,
- simulates models using one or more basal set and simulation definition,
- estimates parameters using a global or local parameter search algorithm,
- plots simulations and experimental data in a grid of plots for visual comparison,
- provides undo/redo functionality.